Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Aromatic Curried Couscous

CURRIED COUSCOUS

I'm a big fan of couscous, although I don't cook with it very often. I like the dry texture, kind of like Vietnamese com tam, and the Moroccan seasonings commonly used with it. Thus, when I found this recipe in The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, it seemed like a surefire winner. The bacon spinach salad I served before it was a tough act to follow, but the couscous held its own, displaying a sufficiently complex flavor profile to be enjoyed on its own while complementing my seafood entree nicely. Incidentally, I was informed by the Test Kitchen that couscous is technically not a grain but a pasta. Nevertheless, I am putting it in the "grains" category, as they did in the cookbook, because, well, you can't deny that it tastes and feels like a grain.

Recipe by The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder (for a little fusion action I used Vietnamese curry powder)
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1 cup couscous
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and curry powder and cook for about 15 seconds, then pour in the chicken broth and add the raisins. Bring to a boil, then stir in the couscous. Remove the pot from the heat and cover it. After 5 minutes, the couscous will be cooked; take off the lid and stir in the mint and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Yield: 4 servings
Estimated Start-to-Finish Time: 15 minutes
Actual Start-to-Finish Time: 30 minutes

3 comments:

  1. I find it funny that your actual finish times are significantly longer than the reported one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when I cook dinner, we somehow almost always end up eating at 10 p.m. In fact, my lack of speed in the kitchen was originally going to be the central premise on which this entire blog was built. Unfortunately, the URL I had in mind, timedilation.blogspot.com, had already been registered, so I settled on Stellar Recipes instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i wish i got that joke...but i kinda do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails